Heading to the gym and completing the reps is only half the battle to build muscles. The remaining half of the battle is about eating a proper diet and providing the body with its building blocks that are necessarily required to boost the biceps and repair muscle damage.
Protein is an essential building component of the human body. It is required for growth, healing, reproduction as well as supporting a healthy immune system. Protein is a substance that keeps you satisfied for longer after a meal, which is why the high protein, low-carb diet, is prevalent.
For men, the required amount of protein is 65g per day, equivalent to the amount of protein found in a 200g tub of natural yogurt or multigrain bread roll, a small steak (100g), and two eggs. For women, the required amount of protein is 50g per day. Overeating protein can be a problem, too, as it risks bone health in the long term by increasing the amount of calcium excreted in the urine and putting excess pressure on the kidneys.
What are protein powders?
Concentrated sources of protein obtained from plants, food, or animals such as peas, rice, eggs, or dairy are called protein powders. These are dietary supplements with a high percentage of protein besides fiber, minerals, vitamins, dehydrated vegetables or other plant products, additional fat metabolizers (creatine), and other thickeners. Most of the protein powders are food supplements that are highly processed. They are very refined with long, stable shelf life and don’t taste like garbage.
Protein powders are helpful in a condition when you are not getting enough protein from whole food. Additionally, protein powders provide portability and convenience of a protein source.
Benefits of using protein powder:
No doubt, there are countless benefits of getting protein from real foods, then the benefits you obtained from protein powder supplements. But still, the advantages of protein powder are a close second place. In combination with a perfect fitness plan along with balanced eating, this essential macronutrient helps to build muscles, make enzymes and hormones, and repair tissues. Protein powder is also helpful in weight loss and toning muscles.
Risk factors for using protein powder:
Numerous risks are also involved while using protein powder. Such as:
- The use of protein powder may cause digestive stress. Gastrointestinal discomfort is common in people with dairy allergies or trouble digesting lactose when they use milk-based protein.
- This dietary supplement of protein powder has no way to find if a protein powder contains the same things that manufacturers claim.
- The available data on possible side effects of protein powder is minimal, so we don’t know anything about the long-term effects.
- The protein powders with added sugar may increase the risk of unhealthy spikes in blood sugar and weight gain.
Types of Protein powders:
There are various types of proteins according to their effect on hormones, leucine content, amino acid profile, digestion rate, phytoestrogens, or fiber content:
- WHEY PROTEIN is considered a gold standard protein for muscle growth. Its breakdown rate is too fast, and it has a high concentration of leucine.
- SOY PROTEIN may serve several benefits to the elderly and menopausal women, but it is not optimal for men and muscle growth.
- CASEIN PROTEIN may be a beneficial method to improve muscle recovery when taken before bed, and it may also contribute to preventing muscle breakdown.
- EGG PROTEIN has a high absorption rate and leucine content, and it is an excellent alternative for those who are not able to digest whey.
- VEGETABLE OR PLANT-BASED PROTEIN generally vegetable or plant-based protein should not be the prior choice, but specific blends with the digestive enzymes is a good substitute for vegetarians or vegans
Best protein powders without artificial sweeteners 2020:
Protein powder is an affordable supplement that instantly adds protein content to your meal. But most of the protein mixes are sweetened and flavored. Of course, added sugar makes the protein powders more palatable, but using sugar-free protein powder is a much better option. Artificial sweeteners have negative consequences in the body, and the best option is to stick with naturally sweet foods.
Sugar-free proteins are free from every kind of sweetener. Besides sugar, low-calorie or non-nutritive sweeteners like Stevia and monk fruit are also added to protein powders. The protein powders without artificial sweeteners tame cravings curb hunger and help to build muscles.
Here it is the list of best protein powder supplements without artificial sweeteners:
1.Opportuniteas Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate:
This is the pure whey isolated protein free of artificial sweeteners and has no added flavors, preservatives, and colors. There are no added GMO’s, hormones, and gluten in it.
For this supplement, milk is coldly processed to make the isolate. Then it is purified with very brief heating.
As a resultant premium quality amino-acid produces with better texture and taste. It is every single serving offers 27g of natural whey protein. For its easy mixing, a dash of lecithin from non-GMO sunflower is added to it.
With only two ingredients (99% protein isolate + 1% lecithin), this protein powder is the best supplement that can incorporate into any recipe with ease. Grass-fed whey protein isolate by Opportunities is a perfect addition for smoothie, juices, drinks, shakes, or food.
Pros & cons of Opportuniteas Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate:
- Its 100% pure product with no artificial additives or flavors.
- It is made of hormone-free, grass-fed, Wisconsin cow milk.
- Available with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Most of its lactose is removed to make it suitable for a broad range of diets.
- It is too bland for some users.
- Few cases of powdered clumping have been observed.
2.Performance Lab Sport Protein Powder:
This protein powder is made of a premium source of plant protein that maximizes the absorption without sacrificing its actual benefits associated with taking in a protein supplement. Its manufacturers are proud of introducing well researched and result-driven products.
This artificial sugar-free protein powder with all-natural ingredients helps to achieve peak protein performance to lose weight and build muscles. It uses raw, whole, and organic plant-based protein. The only issue with this almost perfect protein powder is that it is not a complete protein source, but you need to include some protein-containing vegetables in your diet.
Pros & cons of Performance Lab Sport Protein Powder:
- It is an ethically sourced, plant-based, and milk-free source.
- It has a delicious flavor with nothing artificial added to it.
- According to the claim of its producers, this patented rice protein absorbs 30% more quickly than whey.
- It is not a complete protein by itself.
3. TGS Nutrition Whey Protein Powder:
This is also an unflavored whey protein that does not contain hormones, soy, or gluten that is also free from rBGH and GMO. No acid processing or bleaching is involved during the manufacturing process, and this feature makes it an affordable alternative of high-price organic counterparts. It’s per serving provides 130 calories in 25g (each scoop). With low carbs and calories, it has a high protein content that is just perfect for a low-carb diet. It can be used as an excellent post-workout snack. It is suitable as a general supplement for recovery from illness, and for muscle building.
Pros & cons of TGS Nutrition Whey Protein Powder:
- This pure and clean protein powder is vegetarian-diet friendly.
- This protein powder is an undenatured and cold-processed supplement.
- It is produced by a unique process to make it a clean supplement.
- It may leave an aftertaste, but very few consumers report it.
4.Nuzest Clean Lean Protein Powder:
This pea protein powder has no added vitamin, minerals, and other nutrients in it. This protein powder contains all 9 of the essential amino acids. This powder has three simple ingredients: pea protein isolate, thaumatin (a protein obtained from katemfe fruit that is around 2000 times sweeter than sugar), and natural flavor like vanilla beans, not the vanilla flavor. It is a gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free supplement suitable for people who eat a paleo diet and vegans.
It can be a fantastic post-workout protein supplement to deliver you a maximum protein boost. It is available in many flavors like Rich Chocolate, Smooth Vanilla, Just Natural, Wild Strawberry, and Creamy Cappuccino.
Pros & cons of Nuzest Clean Protein Powder:
- This is an excellent alternative to whey protein that is easily digestible also.
- It is a complete plant-based protein that contains all nine essential amino acids.
- It is available with a great selection of natural flavors.
- It is a pea protein, and though it is every serving is well flavored, but you cannot get rid of that earthy taste.
5.Pure Label Nutrition Whey Protein Powder:
This protein is also 100% pure whey protein isolate that is sourced from grass-fed cattle that is free from chemicals, GMOs, and hormones. This protein has zero artificial sweeteners, bulking agents, and additives with a grass-fed whey protein.
This is fully packed with essential amino acids, and it’s per serving offers 24g of protein with only 122 calories, 2,5g fat, and 1g of carbs. It is considered a keto-friendly supplement due to low calories and carbohydrate content. This supplement may also use in weight loss plans. This can be a perfect supplement for athletes to build their muscle mass. This protein powder is also fantastic as pre or post-exercise snacks.
Pros & cons of Pure Label Nutrition Whey Protein Powder:
- You will experience no bitter aftertaste at all.
- No chalky residue is found.
- It can be used in a variety of recipes, including baking recipes also.
- Its taste is superb for kids, even when it is mixed with fruit juices.
- It provides a 100% money-back guarantee.
- This powder can mix with beverages so smoothly.
- Some palates may reject the taste and texture of this product.
- It was mentioned by a few users that the taste and texture are inconsistent. It is changed with every new purchase.
6.Alter Ultra Clean Whey Protein Isolate Powder:
It is also one of the purest, freshest, and most potent protein powders available in the market. This un-denatured, unparalleled, and purified protein powder may boost the brain, repair tissues, build muscle, and reinforce immunity. This product is hypoallergenic, delicious, and highly digestible. Its per serving (30g) contains 27g un-denatured whey protein isolate with only 115 calories with no antibiotics or GMOs and hormones. It is also free from colors, chemicals, sugar, lactose, stimulants, casein, and sweeteners.
It nourishes the body and brain after exercise and helps recover faster from illness, stress, and injury. It also boosts the processes of anti-oxidation, anti-inflammation, and immunity to optimize health naturally.
Pros & cons of Alter Ultra Clean Whey Protein Isolate Powder:
- It is possibly the purest form of whey possible.
- It is free from antibiotic rife, hormone injections, in the dairy industry.
- It is so versatile with no added flavors.
- You can flavor it on your own in baking and shaking.
- It has no flavor, so it needs small efforts to find a perfect recipe for it.
7.Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder:
This protein is formulated to fulfill the keto dieter’s needs for a higher amount of protein. There is nothing artificial in this product, but the whole organic with specific benefits. Each serving of Ora Organic protein powder contains 130 calories, 3g of fat with 0.5g saturated fat, 5g carbs, 26.62g of proteins.
Its powerful punch of protein is obtained from Acai, Pea protein, Cocoa powder, Apple, Blueberry, Blackberry, and Amaranth. This supplement also contains the goodness of other fruits like strawberry, cranberry, coconut, pomegranate, broccoli, and turmeric. This potent dose would help you to improve muscle tone, endurance, stamina, and helps to develop thin and lean frame. This protein powder may help in faster weight loss, ketosis, boosting strength, and digestion.
Pros & cons of Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder:
- It is the product with low carb and high-fat content.
- It also contains maximum dietary fibers.
- It is 100% organic and vegan friendly.
- No gluten, soy, and GMO are present.
- It has a powdery and chalky texture.
8.BulkSulements Clean Whey Protein Powder Isolate:
This is the protein powder rich in muscle-building branched-chain amino acids with 90% pure protein. This protein powder may help repair muscle tissues, reduce post-workout soreness, and accelerate your gym session results. This high octane source of protein is also beneficial in obtaining lean body mass. It is also helpful in burning fat and boosting muscle strength.
Its single serving provides 27g of protein, 210miligrams of sugar, 75miligram of sodium, less than 1g of fat, and only 113 calories. This protein powder may also fulfill 12% of your daily requirements of calcium. This supplement also contains other essential minerals like potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium. This protein powder is easily soluble in water and any pre-workout drink you like.
Pros & cons of BulkSupplements Clean Whey Protein Powder Isolate:
- It is easily soluble in different drinks.
- This protein has a complete amino acid profile.
- Its quality and purity are lab-tested.
- It contains rBGH
- This supplement is not organic or grass-fed
- It is expensive
- The cows are treated with growth hormones
9.Muscle Feast – Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder:
This protein powder is a blend of whey isolate, concentrate whey, and hydrolyzed whey. It also contains branch chain essential amino acids that fuel your muscle for an explosive workout. It’s per serving contains 19.1g protein with only 100 calories. Its low carb content makes it a Keto-friendly protein powder. Its labels may vary due to its recent certification from the American Vegetarian Association. This is a gluten-free product. This single ingredient protein may initiate muscle building right after digestion.
Pros & cons of Muscle Feast – Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder:
- It is one of the high quality purest protein powders.
- It is increasingly becoming more sophisticated with its formulation.
- It is perfect to use this powder as a base for muscle building nutrition or as a part of pre or post-workout supplements.
- It is completely protected from every kind of fillers, artificial sweeteners, and flavors.
- This pure whey protein may cause bloating and indigestion.
- You may experience really bad aftertaste.
10. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder:
This protein powder with no artificial sweetener is so easy to prepare. It can easily dissolve. That is why considered as “instantized product.” This product consists of a protein blend and soy, coconut milk, natural flavors, and natural sugar. It is gluten-free.
It kicks starts the muscle recovery process because of its sucralose free nature. It is also used for appetite control and a perfect energizer for the whole day. In every single serving provides 24g of 100% pure whey protein, 5.5g naturally occurring branch chain amino acids, and 4g of glutamine. It’s every scoop contains 130 calories, 5g of total carb, 1g of total fat.
Pros & cons of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder:
- It is available in more than 20 flavors.
- This is full of maximum nutrients with balanced ingredients.
- It contains the right amount of high profile amino acids.
- It leaves a chalky aftertaste.
- In very few conditions, users may feel bloated.
Factors to consider while buying Protein powder:
There are hundreds or maybe thousands of options are available in the market for best Protein powder, but how do you know “what’s the best protein powder?” it is really important to decode protein powder labels.
All protein powders are not created equally; some are surely better than others. Protein powder shopping can be overwhelming to select the right protein powder for you. There is no single protein powder available for everyone as each person has unique physiology, goals, and preferences. By following these tips, you can buy the best Protein powder for your particular requirements.
You just need to know about the protein basics, and then it will be quite simple for you to choose the desired product.
Set your goals first:
You can indeed try any of the protein powders available, but all of them do different things. It is good to narrow your options by identifying your primary goal of taking protein powder. First, decide your priorities regarding protein powder:
- You need protein powder to build your muscles?
- Is protein powder just another way to sneak in extra nutrients?
- Do you want to lose weight?
After finding answers to these questions, it will be apparent to you why you need to buy protein powder.
Protein powder to fuel your workout:
You have to use an isolate protein powder before and after your workout. Your body can easily digest it within no time and get proper nutrients to improve your workout abilities and help your body recover faster. The protein provided by the isolate powders absorbs and usable by the body instantly.
Protein powder with isolates is especially useful for building and toning the muscles. During exercise, your muscle tissues break down, and this process is fueled up by the protein powder.
Use “concentrates” to lose weight:
Maybe in your opinion, a protein shake is a perfect meal replacement or healthy snack option. To lose your weight with the help of protein powders, try “concentrates’. These concentrated powders are abundant with a high protein percentage with added carbohydrates, fat, water, and minerals. These concentrate digest slower and provide you the satiety of a meal with increased protein. Dissolve these concentrate powders with water only by adding a little ice to avoid clumps, and adding this powder with anything else than water may increase the calories and digestion time.
“Casein” is your diet booster:
This protein powder is an option to bulk up your muscle mass. This slow-digesting protein powder gets absorbed in your body while you slumber. Casein takes at least six to eight hours to fully digest in the body, so it is perfect for making this supplement right before bed. Read the protein powder label to know about nutritional facts.
As the different types of protein powders, there is a variety of proteins that make these powders. Such as:
- Whey is the milk protein with all the essential amino acids. It boosts energy and reduces stress.
- Soy protein has benefits beyond the gym, and it is a dairy-free protein option.
- Plant proteins provide good gut health.
After knowing about these essentials about protein powders, it is now easy to choose perfect protein powder. Always read the entire nutritional label before buying any protein powder. Also, pay attention to fat and sugar content. Choosing a protein powder with low fat and sugar is always the best option. The people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome should choose a protein powder with no lactose sugar and artificial sweeteners.
Question#01: Is Stevia a better option than artificial sweeteners?
Answer: Stevia is a naturally occurring sweetener that is better than any other artificial sweetener because it contains zero calories. Few artificial sweeteners are containing no calories, but they may cause diabetes or even generate cancer risk. On the other side, Stevia is effective in improving the insulin response of the body. It also contains a high amount of antioxidants that help fight against the damages caused by obesity and diabetes.
Question#02: How will you define an artificial sweetener?
Answer: Artificial sweetener that is manufactured chemically in a laboratory, and it is not available naturally. In 1879 first artificial sweetener, “Saccharin,” was discovered by Constantine Fahlberg. Acesulfame K, sucralose, Saccharin, Aspartame, Neotame, and Advantame are the six artificial sweeteners recognized by FDA.
Question#03: Why is it advised to use protein powders in limited quantity?
Answer: It is never advised to use protein shakes every day because the absorption rate of protein powders is faster than that of the protein taken from food sources. This extra protein converts into fat in case if you cannot digest it all. Taking 20g to 30g protein in one sitting is more than enough to fulfill your body needs. Be mindful and stick to serving size, whether you are striving for a smaller waist or bigger muscles.
Protein powders are not essential nutritional supplements, but these can be beneficial for many people, especially for older adults, athletes, vegans, and vegetarians. These convenient sources of complete protein sometimes contain other nutrients too.
If you wish to supplement your diet with protein powder, always choose a high-quality product with no added artificial sweeteners. Ideal protein powder is unsweetened with just a few ingredients in which protein is the fundamental component.
You can get all the benefits of proteins without high sugar intake. The protein mentioned above powders is a few of the best available protein powders without artificial sweeteners.
You can get all the benefits of proteins without high sugar intake. The protein mentioned above powders is a few of the best available protein powders without artificial sweeteners. These protein powders are great options to maximize muscle gain and to reduce the time a body takes to recover after a workout.