Undoubtedly, it is super easy and convenient to find whey protein made up of cow’s milk. But, around 68% of the population is lactose intolerant. If you are one of those, you must have a hard time looking for lactose-free whey protein.
Whey and casein are the byproducts used in making cheese. If you are lactose intolerant, then these ingredients must be harmful to you. Dairy-based products can cause nausea, bloating, and abdominal pain.
Whey protein concentrate contains some lactose; the isolate form has a very small amount because the milk sugar is lost in the process.
Throughout the years, most lactose-intolerant people have started using whey protein supplements. For this reason, manufacturers have started producing lactose-free powders.
Whey protein is quickly digested in the body. This results in a rise in amino acid levels and increases muscle mass and strength. It also helps to reduce weight and appetite. Almost all protein powders use the following proteins in their products:
- Whey protein isolate
- Beef, fish, chicken
- Wheat, peas, brown rice
- Egg white liquid or powder
- Bovine collagen
In this article, we will tell you the top lactose-free protein powders. In this way, you will know what to choose and what not!
Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate:
The main difference between regular protein and isolate protein is that the latter is more refined and pure. This product is a great choice if you are lactose-intolerant as it combines with regular isolate and hydrolyzed isolate. It is the closest thing to the free form of amino acid you can get.
It has a super-fast absorption rate that allows quick recovery post-workout. A 32-gram scoop contains 120kcal and 25g protein and almost no grams of carbs or fat.
It is one of the most varied options on this list as it comes in 17 different flavors. Also, Dymatize ISO 100 has four different sizes (1.6 lbs, 3 lbs, 5 lbs, and 6 lbs). This allows the consumer to buy any size according to their need.
- Multiple flavor and size options
- Almost no fat and no carbs
- One serving provides an ample amount of protein
- It contains lecithin to improve mixing but is an artificial flavor
- It contains sucralose. It is an artificial sweetener
- It has a bitter aftertaste
Opportunities Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate: Opportunities Grass-Fed is another good option when it comes to lactose-free whey protein. The isolated protein is processed in a way that all milk sugar is removed. In this way, the protein left behind is easy to absorb.
This protein powder is obtained from grass-fed cows and has no artificial flavors, sweeteners, or additives. It doesn’t have gluten or GMO’s as well.
Moreover, the distinct lack of taste makes it a good choice for people who don’t like flavored protein powders. Each serving of this product has 27-gram of protein. It is a perfect product to add a protein boost for shakes, smoothies, or any other food or drink.
It contains a minimal amount of lecithin but from non-GMO sunflower. However, if you aren’t satisfied with the product, they offer you a money-back guarantee.
- It has no flavor and easy to eat or drink
- High protein content
- It has 144mg of calcium per serving
- No artificial ingredients
- The smaller pack is not cost-effective
- More expensive than other protein powders
Legion Athletics Whey+:
This product is one of the most popular options amongst people who are looking for good lactose-free protein powders. It consists of a cold-pressed isolate with a small amount of non-GMO maltodextrin.
It doesn’t have a detailed ingredient list and contains products like cocoa bean powder, natural flavors, xanthan gum, stevia leaf extract, and tapioca starch.
One serving of this protein powder contains zero grams of fat and only 3 grams of carbs. It also has 136 grams of calcium, which is pretty good for bone health and proper muscle contraction. It also comes in both flavors and non-flavored options.
This product’s mixability is good as well, and people who don’t like clumps in their protein drink must buy this powder.
- Variety of flavors including Dutch Chocolate, French Vanilla, and Birthday Cake and an unflavored option
- Easy to blend with water
- Made from grass-fed cows of sustainable Irish dairy farms
- It doesn’t contain GMO, hormones, or antibiotics
- High sodium content than other protein powders
- It is sweetened with stevia, and some people find an unpleasant aftertaste
- Not good for people with soy or gum allergies
Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey:
While you go out in search of good lactose-free protein powder, you will find Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey on the shelves.
Even though it is expensive, most people love it because of the high protein content. It is a hydrolyzed whey protein that is isolated to remove the excess lactose. Moreover, it doesn’t have excess cholesterol, carbs, or fat. In this way, this product is quickly absorbed in the body providing enough energy to work throughout the day.
One scoop of the product contains 30 grams of proteins. It also has 9 grams of branched-chain amino acids, namely, leucine, isoleucine, and valine. These amino acids have an important role in muscle growth and recovery.
- It has a high amount of proteins
- Excellent source of naturally occurring amino acids
- Easy to blend with milk and water
- It comes in multiple flavors to suit your taste buds
- Quite expensive than average
- Some flavors lack their exact taste.
- It has artificial flavors.
- Sucralose is the artificial sweeteners used. Some people don’t encourage using it.
Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder:
For people who want to keep their carb consumption as low as possible, this option is for them. It has zero carbohydrates and zero fat. It is also a keto-friendly option.
Isopure is obtained from 100% whey protein isolate. In this way, it is a good option for lactose-intolerant people. One serving contains 25 grams of protein and 5 grams of BCCA’s, which is more than enough. It also has a good dose of other micronutrients, including magnesium, calcium, vitamin B12, and zinc.
These ingredients, vitamins, and minerals in this product ensure that their consumer gets an adequate amount of vital nutrients. It comes in 4 sizes 1 lb, 3lb, 4.5lb, 7.5lb.
- It is available in 9 flavors, including Strawberries & Cream, Toasted Coconut, and Creamy Vanilla.
- Adequate protein content
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals
- Multiple sizes available for every type of consumer
- Ample amount minerals and vitamins
- Easy to mix and blend
- Some people don’t like the flavor options
- Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that most people don’t like
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Organic Plant-Based Protein:
Optimum Nutrition is known for producing gold-standard products. And, our list won’t be complete without mentioning plant-based products. Protein powder tends to provide Nutrition like vitamins and minerals. But, the most important thing is the protein content.
In one serving of this plant-based whey protein, there are 150 calories and 24 grams of protein with 4 grams of BCCA’s. Other ingredients include Organic Cinnamon Powder, Organic Stevia Leaf Extract, Organic Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, etc. People who are allergic to Xanthan or gum shouldn’t try this product.
- 100% vegan-friendly
- It contains no artificial flavors or ingredients
- Easy to blend and mix with water or milk
- Expensive option for a whey protein powder
- A little number of servings per container, i.e. 19
- Only two flavor option only chocolate and vanilla
- It has stevia, and most people don’t like its aftertaste.
Elevate Plant-Based Performance Protein:
Here is another plant-based protein option available in the market. It is a lactose-free protein powder that had to be on the list because of its high popularity and great customer reviews.
Elevate Plant-Based Performance Protein is a mixture of pea, sweet potato, and hemp protein. These all ingredients, when combined, balance the amino acid profile. This product is made for usage in beverages. It doesn’t contain soy or sugar. The natural flavor that resides within the product comes from monk fruit extract.
One serving of this plant-based protein powder contains 24 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of fat, 4 grams of carbs, and no sugar. Moreover, it has Himalayan rock salt and helps to balance the electrolyte level in the body.
- No artificial flavors, additives, and GMOs
- 100% vegan friendly
- Great source of protein
- Low-carb, gluten-free and keto-friendly
- Not too expensive
- Limited flavor options only Chocolate Brownie and Vanilla Milkshake
- It gets chalky when mixed in water
- Some people find the chocolate flavor too bitter
Nutiva Organic Cold-Processed Hemp Protein:
The majority of bodybuilders and athletes use protein powder in their daily routine. People who are trying to gain weight and muscle mass also use it frequently. Hemp protein is one of the most widely used forms. It is made by grinding the pressed hemp seeds into a fine powder.
For people who want to eat organic protein powder that is lactose-free, then Nutiva Organic Cold-Processed Hemp Protein is the best option. It is great for those who don’t want their protein from soy or legumes like peas. Many people who prefer a Paleo diet opt for hemp-based protein powder over other plant-based ones.
One scoop of this serving contains 15 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber and only 1 gram of sugar. Even though it constitutes a lesser amount of protein than other protein powders, the amount of fiber content does catch some consumers’ eyes. Hemp is a type of complete protein and has all the vital amino acids that a body needs. Hence, this product will be a good choice for some people.
- Low-fat content
- It contains 2.2 grams of omega fatty acids
- Ample amount of fibrous content
- Cold-pressed hemp avoids oxidation and unnecessary use of chemicals
- It comes in multiple sizes;16 oz, 30 oz, and 3 lbs
- Lower protein content as compared to other products
- Only two flavor option available, namely chocolate and vanilla
- Unpleasant aftertaste
- It doesn’t taste good when mixed with plain water
Naked Nutrition Pea Protein Powder:
If you are looking for an entirely plant-based lactose-free whey protein, then 9. Naked Nutrition Pea Protein Powder is the best choice for you. It contains a high amount of protein with no artificial flavors and simple plants. It is also known to be gluten-free and pure vegan.
If you pick the unflavoured version, it only contains one ingredient, which is yellow pea protein. One scoop of serving contains a whopping 27 grams of protein. 5.7 grams of BCCA’s and two grams of carbs.
It is also certified by the Informed-Choice, which is a quality assurance program. It guarantees that this protein powder is free from impurities, contaminants, and banned substances. Naked Nutrition Pea Protein Powder is available in chocolate and vanilla flavor. Although the flavored version contains a little less protein, i.e. 25 grams per serving, this amount is good too.
- It doesn’t have GMO’s, soy, and gluten
- No artificial flavors or sweeteners
- Made from organic farm peas
- A high amount of protein as compared to other protein powders
- Unpleasant aftertaste
- Expensive as compared to other plant-based options
- Flavored options have high carbs and sugar
Naked Nutrition Organic Brown Rice Protein Powder:
Naked Nutrition’s brown rice protein powder offers an effective blend of sprouted brown rice and is rich in essential amino acids. It is a good option for those looking for a plant-based option but who do not want to eat pea protein.
Even though this company has emerged recently, it has created a huge impact on the market. They aim to make protein powders with simple ingredients. And, this is why this product contains only one ingredient, “sprouted brown rice.”
Protein powders are judged by the amount of essential amino acid and protein it contains. One serving of 10. Naked Nutrition Organic Brown Rice Protein Powder has 25 grams of protein, 4.9 grams of BCCAs, 4 grams of carbs, out of which 1 gram comes from fiber and 0.5 grams of fat.
- Healthy source of plant-based protein
- It doesn’t have artificial ingredients
- 100% dairy, soy, and gluten-free
- Tested by the third party for heavy metals and melamine
- A strong smell which some people dislike
- Unpleasant aftertaste
- A higher amount of carbs than other plant-based options
- It doesn’t blend easily with milk or water
Now Sports Egg White Protein Powder:
Many people around the world cannot digest dairy products. In such cases, it becomes tough for them to remain fit and healthy. Keeping this problem in mind, many companies have come up with lactose-free whey protein to help people who have an allergy to dairy products or follow a paleo diet.
Egg white protein powder is another good option on our list to choose from as afore-mentioned amino acids are necessary for our body as it promotes proper functioning. One serving of this product contains 20 grams of protein and an ample amount of branched-chain amino acid.
It doesn’t contain any artificial flavor and sweetener and is steroid-free. Thus, making it a perfect choice for health-conscious people.
- Dairy-free and paleo-friendly
- Free from GMOs, artificial flavors, and sweeteners
- High in potassium, i.e. 331 mg per serving
- Quality assured by GMP.
- Only two flavors available, chocolate and vanilla
- It doesn’t thicken when mixed with other liquids.
- It is sweetened with stevia or xylitol. Some people don’t like its aftertaste.
Equip Prime Protein Powder Isolate:
If you are looking for a paleo-friendly protein powder, this product will be great to choose from the list. Equip Prime Protein Powder Isolate is made from 100% beef protein. Not many options are available in stores when it comes to beef protein. If you are looking to build muscle mass, you need to make sure it has an adequate amount of amino acids, more specifically branched-chain amino acids.
One serving of this product contains 25 grams of protein and 1 gram of carbohydrate. It has only 100 calories per serving, which makes it a perfect fit for your daily routine to lead a healthy life.
Along with the proteins and carbs, it has ample vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, and vitamin C.
- An adequate amount of amino acids
- Free from artificial flavors and additives
- Low-calorie protein powder
- It has collagen peptides and gelatin from beef. It promotes better skin, hair, and nails.
- Limited flavor options only vanilla and chocolate
- Expensive as compared to other options
- It is sweetened with stevia, which gives an unpleasant aftertaste
Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides:
The collagen peptide by perfect keto is a great option for looking for lactose-free protein powder. It has a variety of different flavors according to your taste buds. This product is a perfect blend of both collagen and MCT. If you are on a High-fat and low-carb diet, then this protein powder is for you.
Throughout the years, collagen has become widely popular because of the benefits it provides to our bodies. It constitutes 25% of the body’s protein content and maintains healthy skin, hair, and nails. It also helps in building healthy DNA, digestion, detoxification, and energy production.
On the other hand, MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) converts fats directly into energy or fuel through ketosis. It doesn’t have any complicated ingredients and contains Cocoa Powder and Stevia Leaf Powder for a naturally sweet flavor. For a 17-gram scoop, it contains 5 grams of MCT oil powder to slow the absorption of protein. It also has only 80 calories, 4grams of fat, and 10gram of protein per serving.
- Available in a variety of flavors
- 100% keto-friendly
- It contains collagen for the healthy repair of soft tissues
- Free from soy, gluten, and dairy
- Has both flavored and unflavoured options
- Low protein content
- It has stevia whose aftertaste doesn’t appeal to many people
Snap Supplements – Plant Protein with Nitric Oxide Booster:
This plant-protein powder is the best option for people who are looking for a lactose-free and completely vegan option. The proteins in the snap supplements are derived from the finest ingredients, namely, brown rice, yellow peas, and lentils. It also has a totally full amino acid profile that matches those of the animal sources.
It comes in multiple flavors, and you can blend it easily in milk or water, or any other liquid. It also minimizes the recovery time after workouts, as post-workout protein supplies are the best way to reduce inflammation and tissue damage. This organic protein powder is designed in such a way that it increases strength and muscle performance.
One scoop of serving contains 21gram of protein, 2grams of fat, 1grams of carbs, and 1gram of dietary fiber. It also has all the vital amino acids which a body requires for healthy development.
- Easy to blend
- Free from soy, gluten, and GMO’s
- High protein content
- Only available in 3 flavors
- Lesser servings in one pack
Carnivor By MuscleMeds:
Bodybuilders and athletes consume a high amount of beef to build muscles and increase strength. So, here is another beef protein option for protein powder. The protein source in MuscleMed’s Carnivor is Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate. It also has an ample amount of anabolic muscle-building amino.
It also has creatinine that will help bodybuilders increase muscle mass—moreover, the BCAA’s help reduces muscle fatigue, speed up the recovery process, and increase protein synthesis. One scoop of serving contains 120 calories, 23 grams of protein, 7grams of carbs, and no fat. It comes in a variety of flavors so that you can choose according to your taste buds.
- Free from gelatin, fat, gluten, and cholesterol
- It has essential amino acids to help perform bodily functions
- Ample amount of protein in one serving
- Variety of flavors
- It has sucralose, an artificial sweetener that most people dislike
- Expensive s compared to other protein-powder options
Swolverine – PLANTPRO5 Plant-Based Protein:
Of course, every vegan protein is lactose-free, but this is one of our favorites. The massive two-pound tub is worth buying. The plant proteins in this product are obtained from pea, hemp, quinoa, Sachi inchi, and pumpkin seed.
It is naturally flavored with redwood dutch cocoa and sweetened by stevia. You can easily blend it with milk or water. Pea protein is one amazing ingredient as it contains three essential amino acids leucine, valine, and isoleucine. It is also an excellent diet if you are following a vegan diet and have a sensitive stomach.
In one serving of Swolverine – PLANTPRO5, there is 18 grams of protein, 111 calories, 6 grams of carbohydrates, and 2.5 grams fat.
- 100% natural products
- High protein quantity
- Pea protein is highly effective for muscle building
- Easy to mix with milk or water
- The high amount of sodium, i.e. 230mg per serving
- Some flavors lack taste.
- Only one size available
- Sweetened by stevia, which most people dislike
What Do We Mean By Lactose Intolerance?
Lactose is a kind of naturally occurring sugar in most mammal’s milk. In order to break down lactose, our body produces an enzyme called lactase. In this way, our body is able to digest lactose. But, those people who do not produce this enzyme are known as lactose-intolerant.
As we get older, our body produces lesser lactase enzymes over time. This is why most people in their youth could easily eat dairy products like cheese and milk. But, as they grew older, their body wasn’t able to tolerate it.
How Will You Know If You Need Lactose-Free Whey Protein?
Many people around the world go through lactose intolerance. Yet, they want to stay healthy. This condition is not an issue in some people while others face a lot of problems. If you experience any of the side effects as given below, you should opt for lactose-free protein powder.
- Stomach pain
These symptoms can occur almost immediately after a lactose-intolerant person consumes a dairy product. So, make sure you have knowledge about how your body reacts to different products to avoid any health complications.
If you aren’t sure whether you are buying a lactose-free product, it is essential to read the ingredients list. The vegan or dairy-free options will not have soy, gluten, or any dairy item. In this way, you will know if it’s a good choice or not.
All in all, there are lots of lactose-free protein powders available in the market. We mentioned every type of lactose-free option so that you can choose according to your preference.
Lactose-free protein powders are a good option for people who are trying to lose weight. If you use it correctly, it can also help in gaining weight and muscle mass. These products contain all the essential amino acids that your body needs post-workout. We mentioned the protein powders from every category, starting from whey protein isolate, egg white protein, beef protein isolate, and plant-based protein.
That being said, the options mentioned earlier have all the essential vitamins, minerals, proteins, and calories that your body needs. If your preference is taste, you can choose the one with a wide range of flavors. Happy Workouts!