Pre-workout supplements have been an increasingly popular trend in the gym and sports world for quite a while now. Considered to be a safe way to increase your stamina and endurance and the time you spend in the gym, there is no question as to why they’re so popular. And since the supplements are so high in demand, shelves are lined with various brands and mixtures which might leave quite a few confused as to what to invest in. Add in companies that have a great marketing team that manages to cover up for vagueness in the ingredients department, then you have an added risk of whether the ingredients are something you should be consuming. Having said this, there are certain brands that have managed to survive the scrutiny and competition over the years because of their results and the fact that their ingredients and mixtures have proven to be reliable.
Old School Labs is a relative newcomer in the field of pre-workout supplements but despite that fact, it is rapidly growing popular especially with its online sales and presence. The brand’s marketing is of old school manliness with muscular with their impressive mustaches sporting a 70’s haircut. They sponsor NFL players, boxers and bodybuilders of the Golden Era.
As per their website, they have “dedicated (themselves) to turning back the clock to the Golden Era principles of bodybuilding and supplementation.” We tried their pre-workout known as Vintage Blast for a quite simple yet intriguing reason. This pre-workout has a unique two-stage formula which in essence is that there are certain ingredients used that are digested by the body at a slower rate than others which ensures that the pre-workout lasts longer than other supplements usually do.
So, what makes Vintage Blast so great?
Let’s start with a breakdown of the ingredients to get an idea of what makes Vintage Blast so great.
If you pick up a bottle of the Vintage Blast, you’ll notice that on the ingredients label there are two categories mentioned namely the Start Strong ingredients and the Finish Strong ingredients.
The Start Strong ingredients are those that are needed at the start of your workout. What exactly are these ingredients?
- Citrulline at 5000mg works on enhancing the blood flow in your body for improved function. It gives your muscles the extra pump of blood needed to keep you going without tiring out.
- 1000mg arginine needed to produce nitric oxide which will help maintain your blood flow.
- 1000mg beta-alanine which is an essential and naturally produced amino acid whose function is to build up the protein in the body to enhance and improve muscle function.
- 150mg of caffeine which helps you keep on working out by giving you the required energy boost your body needs.
- Carnitine at 250mg which creates energy in your system by moving the fat deposits found in your cells to improve energy production in the body.
- Then you have the Finish Strong category. This includes:
- Aspartic acid at 2000mg which promotes muscle building by increasing and releasing testosterone which is an important compound to build muscles.
- The 250mg of Tyrosine which makes you more alert by focusing on the neurotransmitter serotonin. This basically means that the brain uses the tyrosine to increase the serotonin levels and that will let you be able to have a better focus on the exercise you’re doing.
- The 100mg of microencapsulated caffeine which works together with vitamin C which produces an antioxidant quality that will keep your muscles from feeling the burn of wearing out of energy. Included in this are also potassium, magnesium, and sodium electrolytes which ensure a smooth workout. Vitamin B6 and B12 are also present which are inherently important for the development of red blood cells which are healthy and for producing energy.
Ingredients that Vintage Blast doesn’t include:
One common pre-workout ingredient that Vintage Blast hasn’t included in their formula is surprisingly Creatine. Creatine is usually considered a core ingredient in most pre-workouts. However, we’re not complaining. This particular brand needs a lot of water as it is to be fully dissolved and the inclusion of Creatine would have made the solubility even more difficult. Moreover, a combination of Creatine and D aspartic acid isn’t a good one, especially for your stomach.
Currently, there is only one flavor available for this brand which is Blueberry Lemonade. IT tastes good but it slightly sour so it might not be suitable for everyone’s taste buds.
There are some great things about the Vintage Blast that we feel the need to highlight.
- To start off with, Vintage Blast does a great job of keeping you hydrated. The mixtures include both magnesium and sodium that help you retain water in your system despite your intense workout.
- The use of caffeine, although a slight amount, is still a great idea. It ensures your feel energetic throughout your workout and more importantly it stops you from feeling fatigued.
- Unlike some pre-workouts that are too strong for an average user, Vintage Blast is well tolerated. However, we always suggest to test your tolerance out because everyone’s body reacts differently to the ingredients. So, to start off, start with half of the recommended dose and then work your way up from there.
- The recommended dose is to mix one scoop in 14 to 16ounces of water and should be consumed anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes before you hit the gym.
- Always remember not to take more than two scoops within the span of 24 hours and to avoid taking it later in the evening as it will disturb your sleep.
- Vintage Blast is priced at $38 for a container of 20 servings. This is slightly on the more expensive side.
- As mentioned before, Vintage Blast isn’t a very strong and hard-hitting pre-workout supplement which is more or less intentional as the company didn’t want it to become habit-forming thus is on the lighter side.
The Vintage Blast formula has proven to be a unique mixture that is great for anyone interested in taking pre-workout to enhance their workout regime. Not too hard-hitting and not something you can get addicted to, it’s definitely something safe to consume. Which is perhaps one of the most important things you’ll be looking for because the whole point of taking pre-workout is to give your body proper care and attention?
However, something that you must always remember is to begin things off with moderation. Bodies react to different ingredients in different manners and so rather than jumping into a supplement full in, always make sure to try it in smaller doses and then work your way up depending on your body’s response. We also do like to put it out there, if you start to think that the pre-workout has lost that energy boost touch that it previously had, don’t experiment with the dosage yourself. Always consult with someone who is well versed in these matters and follow their instructions before making any decision.
All in all, the Vintage Blast is definitely a supplement that we suggest and has not disappointed us thus far. It will not leave you disappointed.