According to the general perception about bodybuilders, they are ” mass monsters”, but not very healthy. In actuality, bodybuilders are those who try to build or sculpt their bodies. Bodybuilding is a serious effort in which a person needs to navigate their nutrition and training with military precision.
Bodybuilding is the most significant sports in the world. When you think of a bodybuilder, you might conjure up ideas of jacked muscle, chiseled abs, a fluid posing, and a dark tan routine. Well, it has different bodybuilding categories and divisions. Before understanding all these divisions and categories first, you need to decide what kind of a physique you wish to have:
Scientifically there are three main types of physiques:
- Ectomorphic Physique
- Mesomorphic Physique
- Endomorphic Physique
This physique is about thin and lean looks, and it is perfect for those fitness freaks who wish to walk down the ramp. If Bodybuilding is your hobby, you can surely try this, but for a bodybuilding competition, it is not suitable. This mesomorphic physique is very famous in many gym rats, and this is the way to do it.
- Do light weights with somewhat higher repetition like 5 sets of 18 repetitions are good enough.
- When it comes to supplementation, you can leave out creatine and have protein shake regularly.
- There is no need to perform a High-Intensity Training (HIT) or Pyramiding Training system to build this kind of physique.
- You can have a short resting time along with cardiovascular exercises as it will keep you going fine.
This is the physique considered the best and almost all the bodybuilders around you, wish and try to have this kind of physique. This is for the mechanistic guys, and that is why most of the guys want it. For this physique weight should be moderate. As this physique is the best one competition as well as scientifically, so you need to make the following efforts to get it:
- You have to train to muscular failure.
- The pyramiding training system is best for this physique in which for a particular exercise, more weight is added and the number of repetitions is reduced.
- HIT is also very effective in which you have to keep out your work intense and short in time.
- You have to do all muscle groups once in a week and do Abs on every alternate day.
- Workout for about 60 minutes with moderate resting time with exercise 4 times a week with cardio on non-training days.
- You can use all the supplements safely except testosterones.
- Eat six small meals a day and consume a protein shake an hour before the workout.
- Adequate protein and carb meal also contribute a lot in making this kind of physique.
This physique demands:
“Lift like the Big Show, eat like Yokozuna, and sleep like a log.”
Maybe it sounds weird, but undoubtedly this is one of the most hated physiques for a bodybuilder. This physique is massively popular for a wrestler! To gain strength and power for wrestling, it is highly advised to try this. While for those who only concentrate on looking good, it is strictly prohibited and just doesn’t touch this training system given below:
- Avoid cardio and train 3 times a week around 50 minutes.
- You have to Pyramid on all your sets.
- Lift the hefty weight with short repetitions of around 4 to 6 with doing rest for 2 minutes.
- To get the right nutrients for this physique eat a high protein and carb for at least 7 times a day for relevant results.
TYPES OF BODYBUILDING DIVISION:
Today, Bodybuilding has gone beyond the limits of the art and science of building a physique with the biggest muscles in a proportionately aesthetic manner. Bodybuilding has got different divisions for men as well as women, and each division has its different goals.
The art of Bodybuilding is expanding in different directions to meet the demands of competitors. Many bodybuilders strive to showcase their passion and dedication to their diet and workout regime. It is necessary to consider the available bodybuilding types. To make their dream come true and fulfill their desire to be on the big stage, After knowing all types, then choose what the best suited for them are.
People who are new here in this bodybuilding world and wondering about the meaning for each bodybuilding type here are specific bodybuilding Physiques assigned to men and women?
Different types of Men’s physique in physique competition:
For “Mr. Olympia divisions” there are four categories for men’s physique:
This category was introduced at the Olympia in the year 2012. The main emphasize of judges in this category is on:
- Aesthetic physique
- Less Muscularity
Judges focus more on the body with an appealing structure and impressive shoulder to waist ratio, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Calves, and balanced and extraordinary development of Arms. All the competitors in this division have to wear shorts slightly below the knee-length. This division gives not much preference for the development of thigh and thigh muscles because it is hidden below the clothing.
The most important condition to be in this category is that the competitors must have a body fat percentage of less than 5%. The posing routine for this division is also different from other divisions. In this regular posing routine is replaced by the Front position followed by three-quarter turns.
2.Open Weight Bodybuilding:
Being in open weight bodybuilding means you are in familiar waters. The guys who participate in this division don’t play around, and you can call them the most shredded and biggest guys of the planet. The weight of the players in this division starts from 137Kgs (300lbs), and with all this considerable mass, their conditioning is also observed. Working on conditioning with this much extra mass is the toughest element of this competition.
This is a manlet division that was introduced in 2011. This division is notably recommended for short men. The men with short height cannot accumulate as much muscle compared to their taller open division competitors.
The requirements for this class are also different. All the competitor athletes need to weigh up to and under 96.6 kg (212lbs). Their height must be less than 166m or 5’5. These bodybuilders have to put on tiny underwear, and judges give their judgment based on these bodybuilders muscle mass, separations, and conditioning. It is necessary for them to accomplish the seven basic bodybuilding postures.
Modern Bodybuilding was so much ridiculed because of the abusive use of steroids. Men were passionate about being a big bodybuilder, and that is why they were unable to control their stomachs. Enlargement of their torso organs and intestine were the common issues. All these factors, in addition to the extreme muscular development, were the reasons to lose the aesthetic appearance of bodybuilders.
In 2016 the Classic Physique division was introduced, and it’s one of the latest divisions in Olympia. The main aim of this category was to target the men who want to build their size and muscles above the normal limit. Their physique must be in between the categories of Men’s Physique limits and Open Division Bodybuilding (both are already discussed).
In Classic Physique, the stomach must remain inward firm many inches. A bodybuilder must work on reducing these inches instead of using more on their beautiful and aesthetic appearance.
Weight classes of men for the traditional Bodybuilding:
There are six weight classes for men’s Bodybuilding:
- Bantamweight: 1/4 pound and to over 143.
- Heavyweight: over 198 and 1/4 pounds up to 225 and 1/4 pounds.
- Light-heavyweight: over 176 and 1/4 pounds up to 198 and 1/4 pounds.
- Lightweight: over 143 and 1/4 pounds up to 154 and 1/4 pounds.
- Middleweight: over 154 and 1/4 pounds up to 176 and 1/4 pounds.
- Super heavyweight: over 225 and 1/4 pounds.
Different types of women physique in physique competition:
Initially, there was one only women’s physique sport, and that was Bodybuilding. But, with the time as the bodies became more prominent and elite, they started to introduce new divisions. The main purpose of these divisions was to emphasize different styles, sizes, and levels of conditioning.
This game-changer strategy allowed more women to take the stage with more physiques. Now the women physiques are classified into the following five divisions:
Bikini is the most popular women’s physique in recent times. Competitors are judged on their overall physical appearance that includes presentation and complexion also. Participants have to wear two-piece suits, with scrunchy bottoms, sparkling jewelry, and high heels.
The ideal genetics for a bikini is a small waist with a balanced, curvy structure and long, shapely legs. A typical bikini candidate has to work hard at the gym and also has to show off her physique in a respectable and classy way.
Women’s physique is more about being athletic with bigger lines of figure and more muscularity. The dress code is a two-piece suit with a v-shaped bottom, and they have to appear on stage barefoot and have to pose traditionally like a bodybuilding contest.
Judges look for shape, muscle tone, proportion, poise, and symmetry. Women who can put on muscles quickly, are comfortable with a higher level of development, but have trouble keeping it toned down for figure are good candidates for women’s physique.
Fitness physique is branched off from Bodybuilding. It not only includes the physique comparison, but it also features a fitness routine performed to music. Gymnastics, dance, and strength moves are some other elements added in it.
Suppose you can put together a routine, love to perform, and devote your time to manage physique and ambitious routine. In that case, you are perfect for joining a fitness physique.
4.Women’s Bodybuilding Physique:
Undoubtedly it is the most muscular women’s physique, and for this category, judges look for the complete package. A balanced combination of size, symmetry, and muscularity is required to participate here. Quarterly turns, and mandatory poses such as closed fisted muscle shots are expected from athletes. If you are obsessed with building severe muscles, and love challenges than Bodybuilding are the right physique for you.
Women doing quarter turns in a neutral position and try harder to hide flaws from the judges are the participants of figure physique. They have good muscularity with separation, but there are no visible striations. Judgments are based upon overall firmness, curvy lines, and not excessively lean. Makeup and skin tone are also factors that impact the final decision.
Figure physique would be a better choice over bikini physique for women who carry more muscles naturally and quickly get lean.
How to find perfect division?
- Here are a few factors to consider while trying finding perfect division:
- Honestly take a look at your body type and observe your stage of development fairly. If you do not have the “right” body for a particular division, it does not mean you are not able to do well in that physique – but you have to face more challenges.
- You have to decide how much you love muscle and how easy it is for you to build it.
- Time and commitment are the main factors that help you to choose a particular division.
- You have to work on all factors from training, nutrition, and wardrobe to posing practice, and appearance on stage.
- Fitness is the basic factor, but additionally, your attitude, confidence, and grace also count a lot.
- Though your happiness may be the bottom-line factor in choosing a division, it is something that really matters for you. It motivates you to be bright and shines on stage.
In every way, Bodybuilding is a way to better health.
The judging of Bodybuilding is subjective, and one main reason to consider competing is that you can develop an attractive body and improve your fitness and health during this process. With the help of this article now, in a nutshell, you can look at the various men and women’s bodybuilding divisions.
Which physique appeals to you most?